Maize & Blue Cupboard Recipe for Busy Students

What if I told you about a delicious meal with multiple proteins, fruits, and vegetables that can be prepared on one pan at no cost to you? This spiced chicken and produce recipe mix is one of my favorites and is totally accessible.  

With all the responsibilities that come with life at University of Michigan, finding the time to prepare nutritious, filling meals can be quite difficult. Other barriers to healthy eating like the lack of a full grocery store on campus and trying to balance food payments with other costs have been further exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. It can be quite difficult to maintain a healthy diet that keeps you ready to be a productive student, especially now.

I know I have had periods where the pressures add up and I become dependent on processed foods just to get me through the day. When I don’t eat well, I can tell that my performance and motivation suffer as I try to balance class, clubs, my professional development, social obligations, and my overall wellness. It feels good to eat good, but this can be easier said than done.

Luckily, I’ve started taking advantage of a wonderful resource on campus that has helped tremendously: The Maize & Blue Cupboard! The Cupboard is a place for U-M community members to get food and basic needs items free of charge. If you have never visited the Maize & Blue Cupboard, you can learn more about what to expect here.

Today I am going to share one of my favorite recipes that won’t take up your whole evening and will leave you feeling full and ready to tackle whatever comes your way. The best part is, nearly all the ingredients can be found at the Maize & Blue Cupboard! This delicious chicken paired with brussel sprouts, chickpeas, and grapes can all be prepared on one pan making prep and cleanup as easy as possible. I like to put on whatever my current favorite album is and make it for dinner as a study break so that my mind and body are fully charged before I hit the UgLi. Let’s dive in!

Donate