Welcome! What to Expect at Your First Visit to Maize and Blue Cupboard

Since its opening, I’ve been able to utilize the Maize & Blue Cupboard as a resource in multiple capacities and it has really been beneficial to my life on campus. While many in the University of Michigan community are already taking advantage of the Cupboard, the Cupboard is always eager to welcome more people, and I hope that you will consider being their next visitor.

Nervous about coming in for the first time?

Not sure what to expect or what exactly they offer?

I’m here to guide you through your first visit to the Maize & Blue Cupboard and give you some tips & tricks to make the most of each visit.

You can find the Cupboard in the basement of Betsy Barber Residence Hall, and it is accessible via the Maynard St. entrance. When you first arrive, simply show your MCard to a volunteer at the front desk and sign in with some basic information. This helps the Cupboard learn a little more about the community they serve. The volunteers are always super friendly and will answer any questions you have, so don’t be shy!

Once you sign in, walk through the Cupboard and take a look at what you might want. They have fresh produce, drinks, canned goods, frozen foods, and more available for you. Each item will have a sign that has dietary information as well as a recommended amount for visitors to take. Maize & Blue Cupboard is here for you so take what you need. The recommended amounts help ensure that they are able to feed everyone who drops in and helps to minimize food waste.

The Cupboard strives to support students and community members both with food, but also with other household needs. In the room directly to the right you will find an assortment of these goods including kitchen tools, household supplies, toiletries, and feminine hygiene products. These products really help me keep my apartment in order and keep me from worrying about maintaining a supply of basic essentials.

There is additionally a resource area which has information on other campus resources that you can take advantage of. For me, it’s always nice finding new ways to make the most of my tuition dollars.

Once you are finished perusing and have what need, you are free to head right out. Maize & Blue Cupboard was founded by students to assist the entire U of M community and I encourage you to check it out, even if you aren’t sure you are “in need”.

Alternatively, if you don’t need the resource — be the resource! You can help support students by making a donation of money, food, or other goods.

You can also donate your time! When I volunteer, I primarily help stock and organize supplies to keep this community space full and in tip-top shape. You can learn more about volunteering and how to sign up by clicking here.

I am incredibly thankful for all the ways that Maize and Blue Cupboard helps me feel secure on campus and allows me to focus on academics and making the most of my time at Michigan. The Cupboard was designed and implemented by students for students and I encourage you to get involved in whichever way makes sense to you!

Donate